3/24/2014

The Drawing Lance Pitch : Little Legends

Recently I threw together a pitch for a children's show (or animated short) for Nickelodeon's open submissions earlier this year.  I based the pitch material on Drawing Lance, and it took me a few weeks to get it to a decent enough spot for submission.  Which is why you haven't seen many comics go up on www.drawinglance.blogspot.com.

When I first started my comic Drawing Lance it was supposed to be about a group of buds adventuring around a game table. Their modern personalities coming to the surface of the game characters. While I sort of pull this off, most of the initial concept was neglected in favor of 3 panel beat comedy strips.  I revisited this idea with the pitch.

In this iteration, I take the personalities of my friends and I and install them in tiny, child versions of ourselves.  The core concept of the show would be to address the trials and tribulations of growing up as a weird kid.  All the frightening experiences of youth, like first kisses, lunch room food fights, pop quizzes and proms would be played out in the kid's weekly D&D-like campaign. Wherein they find the courage and solutions to their little problems.... making them legends in the real world as well as the fantastic one.

Saw I'm calling it Little Legends.

Below are the first few revised character designs of Attar, Henklestout and Ebelnard. Our heroes of Drawing Lance.  The first draft of the kids lineup follows, along with a study of the wizard's, er... study.  And the first half of a short adventure.  (i'll post the rest of it soon enough.)

I would like to flesh this out even further and build a real, legit cartoon show.  This means that Drawing Lance will probably be retired so I can focus on new adventures.











(it's just kinda the Sandlot. I wanted something simple and recognizable for the pitch)